Mobile 1: 082 802 7527
Mobile 2: 078 064 6209
|Address:||GPS Co-Ords: S28 49.647 | E29 27.927|
Drakensberg Ballooning - Activities Winterton, KZN
Drakensberg Ballooning offers scenic hot air balloon flights over KwaZulu-Natal with panoramic views stretching from the Amphitheatre in the Northern Drakensberg to Giants Castle in the Southern Drakensberg. We launch within a private game reserve.
Accommodation is available on site from Drakensberg Bush Lodge at a special rate if you fly with us. From the launch site we have a panoramic view of the Drakensberg.
We fly under the Aviation licence of Westline Aviation
Watch our YouTube video:
- FREQUENCY - Balloons go up every morning including weekends, weather permitting.
- DEPARTURE POINT - Glen Gray Launch site 6 km from Winterton, on road to Cathedral Peak, View "Location" page.
- TIME - Just prior to sunrise, dependant on time of year. Approximately 5h00 in summer and 6h00 in winter. Your pilot will confirm this time. Hot coffee, tea and rusks served as you arrive on the launch site. Professional crew prepare the balloons for flight. The pilot will give you a safety briefing prior to departure.
- WHAT TO WEAR - Should be warm enough for early morning, but "peelable" / "Country Shoes"... no high heels or open sandals,
- WHAT TO BRING - Camera with fully charged batteries, as you will have some most spectacular photo opportunities.
- FITNESS - Ballooning is suitable from age 7-70 (although our oldest passenger to date was 86) Passengers should be nimble and be able to stand for the duration of the flight.
- FLIGHT DURATION - About one hour (Dependant on conditions)
- FLIGHT LANDING PLACE - Anywhere safe...Wherever that may be ;-) South African champagne served on landing while the crew pack up the balloon.
- TRANSFER - You will be transferred back to your vehicle at the launch site.
- BREAKFAST - Freshly cooked and beautifully presented on our " Verandah with a view" overlooking the majestic Drakensberg.
- CERTIFICATES - A certificate for bravery will be presented with due ceremony.
- SAFETY - This is our main priority, flights will only take place when weather conditions are calm. We support the safety first campaign.
YOUR PILOTS - David MacGregor has been flying hot air balloons for many years and is the National Hot Air Balloon Champion for 2013. The Honiball family host the ballooning on their farm Glen Gray outside Winterton.
- basket price - R8000 (2 people).
- Private flight.
- Able to pick up 250kg (excluding pilot).
- Available Mondays to Fridays.
- Not available on weekends or public holidays.
Bigger balloons/Sharing baskets
- R2500 per person
- Minimum of 3 people
- Balloon 2 - Normal loading - 3 to 6 persons
- Balloon 3 - Normal loading - 6 to 9 persons
- Balloon 4 - Normal loading - 8 to 12 persons
For larger groups (more than 10) special prices apply - please contact us.
Please contact Drakensberg Ballooning directly for bookings and enquiries.
CONNECT WITH US