Westville is a green-leafy suburb of Durban, approximately 20kms inland from the CBD. Formed in 1847 and developed from a German immigrant settlement, Westville is steeped in history which is reflected at the Bergtheil Museum and in the old-style buildings.
There are many large gated communities within Westville each with their own guarded private security company providing a feeling of “community safety”. The great thing about Westville is its proximity to Durban whilst retaining its residential charm with beautiful views over the city. Home to the only prison in the Durban area, Westville Prison is one of the largest in the country.
Westville is perfect for hikes and walks with the Palmiet Nature Reserve nearby. Properties here are set on large hilly stands, with the market price still at affordable values. Retail therapy is the choice of the day when in Westville, as locals and visitors are spoilt for choice with the large Pavilion Shopping Centre, Westwood Mall and Westville Mall.
Accommodation options vary between upmarket guest houses to bed and breakfast establishments. There is something to suit every taste and budget with the accommodation directory listing advertisers in the area.
Some of the things to do and see when in Westville include:
- Bergtheil Museum - housed in one of Westville’s oldest buildings showcasing the original German settlers history
- Palmiet Nature Reserve - spans the length of the Westville Valley : hikes and bird watching
- Umkhumbane Flea Market - held every Sunday selling traditional curios, clothes and carvings; with excellent food choices available
- Westville swimming pool - popular in the summer months
- Pavilion Shopping Centre - source of local and national shops with a huge variety of restaurants
The activities directory provides more information on what is available in and around Westville.
Growing in population and demand Westville has quite a busy business sector with new office park developments over the last few years. Bordered by the N3 and M19 freeway’s, Westville is easily accessible to businesses.
|Westville Tourism Office Information|
|Telephone:||+27(0)31 366 7500|
|Fax:||+27(0)31 305 6693|
|Address:||Tourist Junction Building, Third Floor
160 Pine Street